Frequently Asked Questions

How are our framework agreements set up?

WME is owned by 4 Local Authorities and as such we understand Public Sector Procurement rules, and all our contracts are fully OJEU compliant.

We engage with customers across a wide range of public sector organisations such as Local Authorities, schools, colleges and blue light services and a contract specification is then determined which suppliers can tender for. All responses are subject to a rigorous evaluation which includes key criteria such as quality and price and the successful supplier/s awarded.

What are OJEU regulations and who has to adhere to them?

Procurement in the UK is governed by a number of regulations and directives under OJEU (Official Journal of the European Union). Publicly funded organisations must also adhere to this legislation to ensure that the money is spent in a way that is fair, open and demonstrates best value.

What is a further / mini competition?

Where a multi supplier framework is in accessed such as WME’s fixed term, fixed price, gas and electricity framework, a further competition or ‘mini competition’ is required. We are required to get quotes from all suppliers on the framework agreement and evaluate which one offers the customer best value.

What changes when I become an academy?

In advance of becoming an academy, please contact WME and inform us of your transition date. We can then ensure we complete the relevant paperwork on time. This includes information such as new payment details, contract and VAT declaration forms where applicable. Nothing will change in terms of service that you receive from WME.

What is a MPAN and MPRN and where can I find them?

MPAN and MPRN are unique reference numbers for your electricity and gas supplies.

MPAN stands for metering point administration number and relates to electricity. It’s also sometimes called a ‘supply number’.

MPRN stands for meter point reference number and relates to your gas supply.

You can find your MPAN on your electricity bill. If you don't have a bill, your energy supplier or the electricity distributor in your area will be able to tell you what it is. You’ll also find your MPRN on your gas bill, or you can get it by calling the National Grid on 0870 608 1524.

What is a MSN?

A meter serial number often referred to as an 'MSN' is a unique number used to identify your meter. You'll be able to find this on the front of your meter, engraved into the meter box or printed on a sticker attached to the meter box. It usually contains a combination of numbers and letters.

What are HH and NHH meters?

A half hourly electricity meter is a specialised kind of electricity meter which is read remotely every 30 minutes, hence the name.

Supplies under 100kVA tend to be Non Half-Hourly (NHH) metered. These are read manually, or feature Automated Meter Reading (AMR) technology.

What is AMR?

Automatic meter reading, or AMR, is the technology of automatically collecting consumption, diagnostic, and status data from water meter or energy metering devices (gas, electric) and transferring that data to a central database for billing, troubleshooting, and analysing.

What is a Meter Operator (MOP)?

A HH meter operator (MOP) is responsible for the installation and maintenance of your meter. They also make sure the communications equipment can send the data to the data collector without any issues.

What is a Data Collector (DC)?

As the name implies a data collector, collects the data from the meter and passes it over to your energy supplier. This is done automatically and this service can be provided either by your energy supplier or an accredited third-party.

What is a DNO?

Distribution network operators (DNOs) are companies licensed to distribute electricity in Great Britain by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets. They are also responsible for allocating MPANs used to identify individual supply points.

Electricity - The UK electricity network is split into regions and each region has a local distribution company.

Gas - The majority of the UK's gas is delivered by Cadent Gas, Northern Gas Networks, SGN or Wales & West Utilities. To find out who supplies your gas call the Meter Point Administration Service on 0870 608 1524.

It is the DNO who you would contact if you have a power cut or if you can smell gas.

What are non-commodity costs?

Non-commodity costs are made up of obligatory charges and levies from third parties. They range from the cost of delivering the energy to your meter, to Government-supported renewable energy schemes.

Currently non-commodity costs make up approximately 65% of each electricity bill and around 35% of each gas bill. These costs are out of the control of WME and our supplier.

What is CCL?

The Climate Change Levy (CCL) is a tax on energy delivered to non-domestic users in the United Kingdom. Its aim is to provide an incentive to increase energy efficiency and to reduce carbon emissions.

What is kVA?

kVA refers to kilovolt-ampere and is the unit used to express apparent power. In practical terms your kVA level is a promise from the network to guarantee the provision of a volume of power to your site. Your kVA level is billed per unit so if set too high you could be being charged for excess demand you will never use. Equally if set to low and you are exceeding your kVA, you could be subject to penalty charges.

WME have recently reviewed the kVA of all customers and advised where necessary about changes increasing or decreasing kVA levels.

Why do you ask for meter reads, even though I have AMR?

AMR uses mobile phone technology to collect data and therefore can be subject to losses of signal and service. To aid our bill validation service, WME continue to request meter reads from customers, however on a less frequent basis.

How can I access historic billing?

All historic billing can be viewed on your personal online portal MYWME. Login by clicking HERE. Alternatively, you can call and request this information from our customer service team on: 0333 101 4424.

I have forgotten my login details for MYWME. How can I get this reset?

If you have forgotten your login details please use the password reset system to reset your password yourself, if you have further issues please contact our customer service team either by email /Home/Contact or by phone 0333 101 4424

Contact us via our online contact form

Our customer services team will be happy to reset your login details for you.

The box my meter is in is broken. Whose responsibility is this?

The meter box is the responsibility of the owner. So you’ll need to arrange any repairs or replacements and pay for them. You can buy a meter box from most hardware or DIY stores, or online.

What are the non-commodity charges making up my electricity bill?

  • Transmission Network Use of System – TNUoS: Pays for transmission network infrastructure
  • Distribution Use of System – DuoS: Pays for the distribution to local network infrastructure
  • Balancing Services Use of System – BSUoS: Pays for balancing of supply and demand
  • Assistance for Areas with High Electricity Distribution Costs – AAHEDC: Subsidised high costs of distribution in Northen Scotland
  • Renewable Obligation – RO: Supports large scale renewable energy projects
  • Feed-in Tariff – FIT: Levied on suppliers to fund the Feed in Tariff scheme designed to incentivise new renewable generation
  • Contracts for Difference – CfD: Support scheme for low carbon generation which provides long term price certainty to increase investment
  • Capacity Market – CM: Ensures electricity supply during peak demand
  • Climate Change Levy – CCL: Government tax on energy usage aimed at increasing energy efficiency and reducing carbon emissions.

What are the non-commodity charges making up my gas bill?

  • National Transmission System – NTS: Provision of gas transmission network and system balancing
  • Local Distribution Zone – LDZ: Charges for provision of gas distribution network
  • Unallocated Gas – UAG: Covers the cost of gas lost in the network e.g. due to leaks, that cannot be attributed to the shipper
  • Climate Change Levy – CCL: Government tax on energy usage aimed at increasing energy efficiency and reducing carbon emissions.

Switch to WME today

Would you like to know more or are looking to switch? Then get in touch with our customer services team today!